@leopoldactive 7 months ago
1. What do you understand by International Human Rights Law; and International Humanitarian Law? What is the difference between international human rights law and international humanitarian law?
Human rights are founded on respect for the dignity and worth of each person. International human rights law is a set of international…[Read more]
ASSIGNMENT – 5
1. What is the role of international humanitarian law in stopping violence against women in armed conflict?
It is a pure reality that women all over the world are confronted with violence during armed conflicts. In both non-international and international armed conflicts, international humanitarian law (IHL) offers protection to p…[Read more]
ASSIGNMENT – 4
1. Why is it necessary to protect and uphold fundamental human rights of vulnerable groups during armed conflict?
Vulnerable groups in international law are composed of: women and girls; children; refugees; internally displaced persons; stateless persons; national minorities; indigenous peoples; migrant workers; disabled persons; e…[Read more]
ASSIGNMENT – 7
1. What is the difference between the Geneva Conventions and their Additional Protocols in terms of application?
The main difference is the type of conflict involved. Indeed, the four Geneva Conventions and Additional Protocol I apply to international armed conflicts which oppose at least two or more states, while Article 3 common t…[Read more]
ASSIGNMENT – 6
1. Who is a “refugee”?
A refugee is defined under the Article 1 of the United Nations Convention on Refugees as a person who, owing to a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his origin and is unable or unwil…[Read more]
ASSIGNMENT – 3
1. What do you understand by “international humanitarian law”?
International humanitarian law (IHL) is a set of rules which seek, for humanitarian reasons, to limit the effects of armed conflict. IHL as a branch of public international law applicable in armed conflict situations, is designed to ensure respect for human being i…[Read more]