COURSE DATE: 15th November – 14th December 2018
DEADLINE: 14th November 2018
Gender equality and the empowerment of women are fundamental human rights that lies at the heart of development. When women and men have relative equality, economies grow faster, children’s health improves and there is less corruption. Gender equality helps reduce the root causes of poverty and vulnerability while contributing to sustainable growth and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Recognizing women as a key driver of development and focusing efforts upon them will ensure long lasting benefits for society at large.
This one month course will equip the participants with the basic concepts of gender, knowledge of and practical skills to gender mainstreaming in Project cycle Management so that they can ensure that gender is incorporated throughout the project cycle stage from formulation to monitoring and evaluation. The course will also introduce participants to gender based analysis frameworks and the participant will leave with a personal action plan for mainstreaming gender in his/her programmes and organisation.
At the end of this course participants:
- are familiar with the basic concepts of Gender, Project and Programme Management
- can assure that gender is mainstreamed in the project cycle; in identification, formulation, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- are able to use an Appreciative Inquiry Approach at relevant stages of the project
- can design project and programmes, monitor and evaluate based on gender equality
- can assess your organisation on strengths and weaknesses for mainstreaming gender
By the end of the course, the participants should be able to understand why gender is critical for the project cycle management, how to use the tools, and have basic skills in monitoring and assessing impact of projects on women, men, boys, and girls.
Teaching Method/Classroom Format
The course is delivered entirely online. The total time commitment is a minimum of 2 – 3 hours per week and a total of 35 contact hours to complete the entire course. The course is designed to be highly interactive and social, but we also work hard to ensure that the majority of content can be experienced in a self-paced manner. In order to accommodate busy schedules of learners from around the world we’ve set up a learning environment where participants have plenty of options and can choose the ones they’d like to be involved with depending on their availability and interest. Participants can also access all course content up to three months after course completion, so if you get pulled away at the last minute for part of the course you can still revisit the material afterwards.
- Online, interactive, self-paced and self-learning modules.
- Assignments to test your knowledge and understanding before and after the test.
- Opportunity to post comments, assignment answers, live chat etc.
This course aims at project staff, advisers, gender desk officers and consultants, involved in facilitating integration of non discriminatory behaviour and equality between men and women. A focus is put on the participant as agent of change in his/her organisation. For this particular course familiarity with project cycle management is beneficial.
Award of the Certificates
Statistics from previous courses showed that submission of assignments and receiving online tutoring helped participants to integrate gender in their various activities. Certificates can be awarded only to those students who:
- Completed all assignments and Final Exam
- Obtain a combined final mark of 50% or more for the assignments and Final Exam.
Successful students will receive the GHRLTI Certification in Mainstreaming Gender into Project Cycle Management.
The course tuition fee is US$300. Course fees include access to all course materials, expert support, assignments as well as postage and packaging of a certificate. There is a limited number of partial scholarships/fellowship available for applicants from developing countries, based on financial needs.
Location: Online [Web-based]
Total Duration: One month, approximately 35 hours learning time
The deadline for application is 13th November 2018. While full tuition payment is due on 14th November 2018. However, applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis. Application form can be downloaded directly from our website at http://www.justicegroup.us/gender-project-development
Introduction to Gender Mainstreaming in the Project Cycle Management
The Basics of Gender Equality in Development
Tools for Mainstreaming Gender in the Development Projects
Mainstreaming Gender in Project Cycle Management
- What is a Project
- Project Cycle Management (PCM)
- The Logical Framework Approach (LFA)
- Phases in PCM resulting from merging PCM and LFA
- Assessing Gender Equality at all Project Stages
- Participation / Stakeholder Analysis
- Problem Analysis
- Analysis of Objectives and Alternatives
- Implementation and Monitoring