This course is designed to introduce individuals to community development as a concept as well as basic skills in mobilising communities for development and influencing social change. This online training is therefore, to build the capacity of individuals involved in community mobilisation as well as those seeking innovative approaches in community development activities. This course content will increase the confidence of development workers, Government officials and private practitioner as it provides a step by step approach in their quest to mobilise communities toward sustainable development.
The main purpose of this course is to provide a resource for community leaders, volunteers, and practitioners who desire to make their communities a better place. It describes the steps in the community development process, and the guiding principles that explain why each step in the process is important.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- To understand the concept of community development
- To identify and apply various tools and skills in engaging communities for development.
- To introduce community organising as a process in community development.
- To introduce advocacy as a key tool for community entry
- To assist practitioners to source resource for community development
- To develop practitioners skills on participatory monitoring and evaluation of community initiatives.
The overall purpose of the training programme is to enhance the capacity and skills of individuals and development practitioners to engaged communities as well as monitor and evaluate community development programmes.
- Individual wishing to develop skills on community development
- Development practitioners
- Non-Governmental Organisation implementing community projects
- Governmental officials supporting community development projects
- Community members, researchers and consultants
- United Nations agency staffs
This course is delivered fully online. You will be required to have access to a computer or web-capable mobile device and have consistent access to the internet to either view or download the necessary course resources and to attempt any graded course assessments and the final exam.
To access the full course including assessments and the final exam, you will need to download an application form and enrolled in the course. For example, some of the accessibility and progress tracking features are only available to enrolled participants.
Interaction with students will be via the Global Human Rights Leadership Training Institute training platform and all course notes and guidelines for study will be delivered and accessible to students in electronic format. (https://www.justicegroup.org/GHRLTI)
All the course modules are available to the students at the inception of the course. At the end of each module, an assignment is completed by the students and marked by the course experts. Assignments are in the form of written assignments.
Award of the Certificates
Statistics from previous courses showed that submission of assignments and receiving online tutoring help participants to integrate gender in their various activities. Certificates can be awarded only to those students who:
- Completed all assignments and Final Exam
- Obtain a combined final mark of 50% or more for the assignments and Final Exam
Successful students will receive the GHRLTI Certification on Community Development Training.
The course tuition fee is US$300. Course fees include access to all course materials, expert support, as well as postage and packaging of a certificate. There is a limited amount of partial scholarships available for applicants from developing countries, based on financial need.
Location: Online [web-based]
While learning styles can vary considerably and any particular student will take more or less time to learn or read, we estimate that the “average” student will take 84 hours to complete this course. It’s a good idea to also schedule your study time in advance and try as best as you can to stick to that schedule.
The deadline for application is 22nd September 2021. While full tuition payment is due on 23rd September 2021. However, applications will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis. You can also submit online application form at https://justicegroup.org/submit-your-application-form/.
The Concepts, Process, and Strategies of Community Development
- Course Expectations
- Understanding Communitites
- The Concept of Community Development
- Key Elements of Community Development
- Community Development Process
- Engagement in Community Development Process
- Steps in Community Engagement
- Pitfalls in Community Engagement
- What Community Development is Not
- Strategies for Community Development
- Steps to Community Development
- Module 1 Assignment
Participatory Tools for Community Development
- Historical Overview of the Participatory Approach
- Understanding Participatory Methodology
- Time Series Analysis
- Seasonal Calendars
- Daily Routines Variation
- Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA)
- SWOT Analysis
- Social Mapping
- Participant Observation
- Focus Group Discussion
- Module 2 Assignment
Volunteering in Community Development
- Community Volunteer
- Why Defining Volunteering is Important
- The Significance of Volunteering to Community Development
- The Value of a Strategic Framework for Community Development
- The Main Approaches to Volunteering
- The Role of Community Volunteer in Community Development
- Volunteer Rights and Responsibilities
- Module 3 Assignment
Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills in Community Development
Community Mobilization for Action
- Understanding Community Mobilization
- The Need for a Community Mobilization Approach
- Tasks Involved in Mobilizing Communities
- Strategies for Community Mobilization
- Community Dialogue
- How to Organise and Conduct a Community Dialogue Session
- The Importance of Community Dialogue
- Rallies and Road Shows
- How to organisation a rally or road show
- Market Storms
- Module 5 Assignment
Communication Strategies for Community Development
Participatory Monitoring & Evaluation of Community Mobilization Programmes
- Why monitoring and evaluation for community development
- Understanding participatory monitoring and evaluation
- The importance of participatory monitoring and evaluation in community development
- How to conduct participatory monitoring and evaluation
- Stages in the development and implementation of a PM&E process
- Community-level indicators in community development
- How to use community-level indicators
- Assignment 7
Community Organising and Development
Advocacy Skills in Community Development
Community Action Planning
Resource Mobilization/Fundraising for Community Development